Act now to support the Medicaid and CHIP enrollment changes by:
- Making your teams aware of continuous coverage expiration and how they can help patients and their families.
- Communicating the changes with your impacted patients.
You can leverage the current Toolkit as is or personalize it by
- Removing the existing CMS brand replacing it with yours
- Using the specific information that’s meaningful to your teams and patient populations
Access the English and Spanish CMS Toolkits and Graphics
- English Toolkit
- Spanish Toolkit
- “Medicaid Unwinding Toolkit Graphics” for social media can be found in the Communications Tools section (a separate ZIP file ready for downloading)
Use the CMS Communications Toolkit to Educate Your Teams and Patient Populations.
The Toolkit provides informational guidance and easy-to-use prewritten communications for various channels and audiences, including
- Informational guidance
- Defining the “unwinding” phases for Medicaid and CHIP Enrollment
- Phase 1 – readiness for the renewal process and patient education about the changes
- Phase 2 – renew CHIP coverage and/or transition to other coverage if no longer eligible
- Summary of research about enrollment and communications best practices
- Key insights about effective communications vehicles and partnerships to support reaching the impacted patient population
- Prewritten patient communications and tips on how you should use the information, including
- Key messages
- Articles and social media posts
- Emails and text messages to support phases I and II
- Prewritten call-center scripts for your teams
- Preparing Medicaid and CHIP beneficiaries for any changes and the steps they can take
- What to say if the patient doesn’t qualify for Medicaid or CHIP
CMS Provides Multiple Resources in Addition to the Communications Toolkit
Tip: CMS “Unwinding” Guidance and Resources could be updated as new program information is available. Be sure to bookmark this website for ongoing reference.
Additional Public Health Guidance About Public Health Emergency (PHE) Declarations
- HHS publishes updates about PHE; click to learn more.
We will continue to keep you updated if there are any changes to the PHE timeline.